Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life Long Lover (and other lessons from a 5K)

Yesterday evening I ran in the "Life Time Fitness Torchlight 5K" for the second year in a row. The thing is, I really don't enjoy running. The only reason I began doing the event was for the personal challenge (overcoming obstacles, etc.). For 5K isn't much for some, but for someone who typically only runs during a rugby practice/match, or from the cops (...j/k), it poses enough of a challenge. Last year upon finishing I proclaimed that I would never do it again, even though I enjoyed the accomplishment and overall event (running through downtown w/ well over 5,000 others, followed by a large after party, all put on by my employer = cool). 

Then when the marketing came out for the 09 event I figured that it was fun enough to do again. So I convinced a few friends from the RVC 20somethings (Brad, Matthew, and Maria) to run it as well. In training for it a ran a mile here and there, then ran a mile a day for 6 days, took 2 days off, followed by a 2.5 then a 2 mile run the day before the race. So essentially I felt ready. 

Getting to the Basilica to check-in was near madness as the clock ticked down to the start time. Adrenaline showed up. Cotton mouth ensued. The Aquatennial Grand Marshall waved down and the blow horns sounded, I was off (and I swear I was in first place for at least a tenth of a second), I started the stopwatch on my iPod and kicked out the jams on a playlist titled "5K Fuel" (The Killers, 311, Haste the Day, Mutemath, August Burns Red, Underoath, and Project 86). 

No joke, when I saw the first mile marker I thought to myself 'You've got to be kidding me...' Although stopping to walk was certainly not an option, my body totally wanted to. If I was doing it for anything other than the Glory of Christ, I would have...

Now, here's the main point of it all:
Approaching the Stone Arch Bridge is probably the most difficult part of the course, but I knew there would be a group cheering that would be far more encouraging than any spectators around (Shelley, Nicole, Amy, Tara, ad Darren). As I saw them in the distance I knew that wanted to communicate especially w/ Shell, so as I was running by her as she is snapping photos, I barely muster out the words "I love you." That is the kind of love I desire to always have and show for her; to love her when I can hardly breathe any more, to love her when the energy to even swallow is lacking, to love her when I feel like quitting... to love her tirelessly. 

Oh God may this life of mine not be wasted, but be well-lived for your Glory. Help me to love her tirelessly. Give me an eternal perspective so that I will be focused on that which really matters. Let every breath of mine be breathed for your name.

PROJECT 86, "THE BLACK BRIGADE"
"Prepare in urgency to race
Casting off the weight that burdens me
I cannot dare to force the pace
Marathon for life the road I face

Committed
Determined
My gaze is set on finishing

I'm straining to extend my lead
As every evil chases me
One day, one hour every step

I know I fix my eyes ahead

Straining on to run without remorse
Casting off mistakes that came before
In my mind I see a hallowed door
Open arm embrace, I'm reaching for...

Just like a breeze is passing me
My stammers a distant memory
We cannot afford a glance to see
What's gaining or what is history"




No comments:

Post a Comment